How to uninstall linuxmint from ubuntu 11.10
First I explain the whole story.. 😄
Why linuxmint in ubuntu...?
In the latest Ubuntu 11.10 release canonical team upgraded from Gnome2 to Gnome3 and ubuntu unity as a default login shell. But I am not comfortable with unity and gnome3. Here its a good article about why I don't like this read it. So I need Gome2 back thats why I installed linuxmint shell a.k.a mate shell.
How I installed linuxmint in my ubuntu..?
Its simple. I followed this tutorial.
Now why you want to uninstall..?
Now again, after installed mate shell facing some problems.
- ubuntu software center is not working.
- every gnome settings showing in two times.
- ubuntu gnome2 and mate have lot of difference.
Ok. How to unistall mate shell..?
For everything you need sudo permission. Login in unity shell and open your terminal. Then run this command
sudo apt-get autoremove mint-meta-mate
It will uninstall every thing related to linux mint. But still linux mint already changed many things in software repo. So you have to move back to old repo (ubuntu 11.10). For that run these commands
- Remove linuxmint repo link from software list.
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- Remove the old software list. Then move the software list to new directory and create a software list directory. For that follow the below commands.
cd /var/lib/apt sudo mv lists lists.mate sudo mkdir -p lists/partial
- Getting the ubuntu 11.10 repo
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get check sudo apt-get clean sudo apt-get autoclean sudo apt-get autoremove
After that also the ubuntu software center is not working 😞 . The problem is "no module named linuxmint". The reason for this error is every where the distribution id is linuxmint.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint Description: Linux Mint 12 Fluxbox Release: 12 Codename: lisa
- Remove linuxmint distribution id from everywhere
sudo gedit /etc/*release
and change everything in the file to:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10 DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu oneiric"
sudo gedit /etc/*issue
and change to:
Ubuntu 11.10 \n \l
- Restart your machine. Then restart your machine. Now in the login screen you don't see the mate shell option.
Cheers....!!! 😃 😃 you are done...